Sunday, March 8, 2009

Taking a big step- Selling Patterns

I have decided to take a step closer to selling my patterns of my baby blankets. I am going to start with the "Fairy Blanket". I"ve have gotten much more requests for the pattern of the "Fairy Blanket" then any of the others. I also feel that this one is easier to knit and will be easier to graph out on the computer. Right now I'm in the info gathering stage. I don't know a thing about where to start. I want to do this right. You hear all the time about errors in patterns and I don't want my very first published pattern wrong.
On Wed 3/4 I stopped off at my favorite yarn store "Knit" to pick up the yarn I ordered for the border of the Blue's Clues Blanket. I talked to Audrey, Ellen & Esther about selling my patterns. They said it was about time. They gave me alot of info. They told me about a computer program for writting patterns and one for the graphing, which I'm more interested in. Also about going to the Knitting Show in Conn. this fall. The show has classes that I could take. Classes in writting patterns, learning the computer programs, learning how to teach, & etc. Plus alot of well known designers will be given classes that I may also want to take. Big problem though, I really don't want to wait until Oct. to first start working on graphing the pattern & written the instructions. So I will have to find a way to learn the program by myself. And give it a shot, then I'll go from there. They also told me where to sell my patterns. They said not only to put them up in Ravelry but also in Etsy.
In the mean time, I still have to finish the Blues Blanket. That will take some time. I like the way the embroidery is looking. Going slow but you can't rush the needle work if you want it to look good. I also cast-on and started Richards ankle length socks that I am using that tiny circular knitting needle. That's in place of using double pointed needles (where I can). They are so cute. Sheila would just love them. She loves tinny tiny little things.
So as I said- act 1- the gathering of information- I will take some photos later and attach it to this blog but the sun just came out and I want to go out side for a bit. It's warm 59, Get it while you can.

No comments: